Santa Clara, California (February 17, 2020) – A 15-year-old boy was killed in a pedestrian accident at an intersection in Santa Clara on Sunday night, February 16.
A black Honda Accord was traveling southbound on Lafayette Street when it struck the boy who was walking westbound on Agnew Road at about 9:21 p.m.
The California Highway Patrol said the teenager was killed in the accident.
The identity of the Santa Clara boy was withheld due to his age.
The driver remained at the scene and cooperated with the authorities.
It was unknown if alcohol or drugs were factors in the collision.
No additional information was provided.
The CHP is investigating the cause of the accident.
Anyone with information about the accident is asked to contact Traffic Investigator Nick Cusimano at (408) 615-4764.
What to Do At the Accident Scene
Nobody is ever prepared for an accident. However, knowing what to do in case you are involved in the accident is very crucial. The following steps will help you ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Stay at the scene and try not to panic.
- Check for injuries and immediately call for an ambulance if anyone is hurt.
- Notify the police even if no one is injured. The police will examine the scene and document the accident. At this point, it is important to record accurate information. You can later request a police report.
- If the accident is minor, it is advisable to move the vehicles to the shoulder and turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights to ensure safety of other motorists.
- Gather information about the other drivers involved in the accident. Also talk to witnesses and get their information.
- If possible, take photos of the damage to your car and the surrounding area.
- Do not admit fault or discuss the accident with anyone. Do not sign any papers unless requested by the police.
- Do not leave the accident scene until the police have left.
After leaving the accident scene,
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Get a copy of the accident report from the police.
- Get a property damage valuation.
- If you were injured in the accident, keep detailed notes of your injuries and track your medical treatment.
- Contact a reputable personal injury attorney to protect your rights.
- Seek legal advice before you contact your insurer to discuss your car accident claim and compensation for your personal injuries. A qualified attorney will help you recover the maximum amount of damages.