Perris, California – Nicholas Gilland, 35, of Perris, has been identified as the man who was killed in an ATV accident on Wednesday night in Perris.
The fatal accident occurred at the intersection of Highway 74 and Meadowbrook Avenue.
Gilland was reportedly driving a 2001 Yamaha Bear Tracker eastbound on Meadowbrook Avenue when his vehicle was struck by a 2017 Honda Civic driven by Tania Maria Ortiz, 19.
The CHP said Ortiz was making a left turn from highway 74 onto the street when the collision occurred.
Gilland was ejected from the motorcycle during the collision. He suffered major injuries and was rushed to Inland Valley Medical Center in Wildomar.
Sadly, Gilland later succumbed to his injuries while undergoing treatment.
Ortiz was unhurt.
The accident remains under investigation.
Anyone who witnessed this accident is asked to contact the CHP’s Riverside office at 951-637-8000.
What to Do At the Accident Scene
Nobody is ever prepared for an accident. However, knowing what to do in case you are involved in the accident is very crucial. The following steps will help you ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Stay at the scene and don’t panic.
- Check for injuries and immediately call for an ambulance if anyone is hurt.
- Notify the police even if no one is injured. The police will examine the scene and document the accident. At this point, it is important to record accurate information. You can later request a police report.
- If the accident is minor, it is advisable to move the vehicles to the shoulder and turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights to ensure the safety of other motorists.
- Gather information about the other drivers involved in the accident. Also, talk to witnesses and get their information.
- If possible, take photos of the damage to your car and the surrounding area.
- Do not admit fault or discuss the accident with anyone. Do not sign any papers unless requested by the police.
- Do not leave the accident scene until the police have left.
After leaving the accident scene,
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Get a copy of the accident report from the police.
- Get a property damage valuation.
- If you were injured in the accident, keep detailed notes of your injuries and track your medical treatment.
- Contact a reputable personal injury attorney to protect your rights.
- Seek legal advice before you contact your insurer to discuss your car accident claim and compensation for your personal injuries. A qualified attorney will help you recover the maximum amount of damages.