Arizona Man Dead, Wife Critical, after Ingesting Chloroquine to Treat Coronavirus


Arizona Man Ingests Chloroquine to Prevent COVID-19, Dies Shortly After

An Arizona man died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate, believing that it would prevent him from being infected with COVID-19. His wife also ingested the substance and was in critical condition.

The toxic substance they ingested was not the medication form of chloroquine, used in treating malaria. Instead, it was used to kill some organisms that can harm fish in aquariums.

The man’s wife told a local news source that after watching press briefings where President Trump mentioned the potential benefits of chloroquine, she recalled the name from the treatment that she had applied on her koi fish.

The couple, both in their 60s, mixed a small amount of the dangerous substance with a liquid, then took it as a way to prevent COVID-19. Both became extremely ill 20 minutes after taking the substance, and the wife decided to call 911 on seeing that her partner had started developing respiratory problems.

The husband died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

Officials in Arizona and other states warned people not to take any drug to treat coronavirus unless prescribed by their certified doctor.