San Jose, California (February 26, 2020) – San Jose resident Maria De Jesus Lopez Curiel, 55, has been identified as the woman who was killed in a pedestrian accident on Saturday evening in San Jose.
Curiel and another male pedestrian were walking in the area of West San Carlos Street and Brooklyn Avenue, near Bascom Avenue at about 7 p.m. February 22, when they were hit by a car.
The two were transported to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Sadly, Curiel succumbed to her injuries while undergoing treatment.
The unidentified male pedestrian remained hospitalized over the weekend.
The driver remained at the scene and cooperated with the authorities.
An investigation into the accident is ongoing.
What to Do At the Accident Scene
Nobody is ever prepared for an accident. However, knowing what to do in case you are involved in the accident is very crucial. The following steps will help you ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Stay at the scene and don’t panic.
- Check for injuries and immediately call for an ambulance if anyone is hurt.
- Notify the police even if no one is injured. The police will examine the scene and document the accident. At this point, it is important to record accurate information. You can later request a police report.
- If the accident is minor, it is advisable to move the vehicles to the shoulder and turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights to ensure the safety of other motorists.
- Gather information about the other drivers involved in the accident. Also, talk to witnesses and get their information.
- If possible, take photos of the damage to your car and the surrounding area.
- Do not admit fault or discuss the accident with anyone. Do not sign any papers unless requested by the police.
- Do not leave the accident scene until the police have left.
After leaving the accident scene,
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Get a copy of the accident report from the police.
- Get a property damage valuation.
- If you were injured in the accident, keep detailed notes of your injuries and track your medical treatment.
- Contact a reputable personal injury attorney to protect your rights.
- Seek legal advice before you contact your insurer to discuss your car accident claim and compensation for your personal injuries. A qualified attorney will help you recover the maximum amount of damages.