Eight People Die after Consuming Contaminated Coconut Wine

0
194

Eight people died in the Philippines after consuming contaminated coconut wine, local media reports.

The victims are reported to have purchased the liquor, known as lambanog, from a shop Rizal in town in Laguna province, southeast of the capital Manila.

The authorities said more than 300 people were hospitalized after complaining of stomach pains and dizziness.

Bootleg versions of the drink, which is made from coconut sap, are common. The drinks have an alcohol content of around 40%.

The owner of the distillery has since surrendered to the authorities.

Meanwhile, the governor of Laguna province has temporarily banned the sale of lambanog. He also said an investigation into the incident is underway.